Richard J. Kern, Retired
Focus of Practice
- Civil Litigation
- Insurance Defense
- Employment Litigation
- Insurance Coverage
- California, 1978
- J.D., San Francisco Law School, 1978
- B.A., St. Mary's College of California, 1974
Professional and Civic Involvement
- State Bar of California
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- Fresno County Bar Association
- Association of Defense Counsel of Northern California and Nevada
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Defense Research Institute
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Former Adjunct Professor of Law, San Joaquin College of Law
Richard J. Kern was a shareholder who retired from PKNW. His primary area of practice was insurance defense, subrogation, employment litigation and insurance coverage.
In the employment law arena, he has extensive experience representing clients in Fair Employment and Housing Act, Title VII, Americans with Disabilities Act, Family Medical Leave Act and wage and hour claims. He has particular expertise representing small local businesses and management on hire/fire issues and proactive management of employment cases. He has tried cases as both a plaintiff and defendant ranging from wrongful death, race discrimination, sexual harassment, disability discrimination, quadriplegia and catastrophic brain injury cases.
Richard Kern is a graduate of Saint Mary’s College of California and San Francisco Law School. He is rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale Hubbell, a rating bestowed on those attorneys who have earned an exemplary reputation in their legal community.